Sunday, October 17, 2010

I'm not mourning VA I'm just missing some things.

You know when you move to a new place and you have to rediscover things. Where do you buy your food? What parks do you go to? What kinds of gyms do you enjoy, where do people run/shop/go to the dentist etc. That is my favorite and least favorite part of moving. Favorite in the sense that there are new things to be discovered, least favorite in the sense that "what if it is crappier then my old (fill in the blank). Well I'm more comfortable now and I'm starting to adjust to life without certain things. So far I love GA and I am glad we are here but let me tell you the things I am really starting to miss.
1. Wegmans. Is there a better grocery store in the USA? I tell you no. I've been to groceries stores in WA,OR,ID,CA,UT,VA,FL,GA. Most of them are your same run of the mill, regular old grocery stores. Until I discovered Wegmans. Where does one begin? And then what do you say? Feel free to help me out. I guess the things I loved the most were; I felt like they took pride in the kind of establishment they were. They didn't try to keep up with other stores, they were way more awesome, they weren't going to come in second place if you know what I mean. The products were great and so were their prices. They had a great store brand and you couldn't beat their prices. Those are just a few of the reasons Wegmans should make their way down to GA. PLEASE!!!
2. Cox Farms. I love Cox Farms. As long as I have had children I have been able to take them to Cox Farms every fall. The place was amazing. They knew how to have a fall festival. Slides so high I got giddy going on them. Hay mazes for the kids, swings, things to climb, animals, hay rides, apple cider for the drinking, pumpkins and oh so much more. I have to admit that I might be more excited about going to Cox farms then my kids (well Makenzie got pretty stoked as well.) I like it better than Disneyland, that is the only feeling I can compare it to, its kind of like Disneyland for me. I love it that much.
So I guess those are the 2 biggies. Friends you don't count because of course I love you and miss you the most that is intended. In fact I love and miss you so much that I am now going to give you a list of reasons you should join us in GA.
1. No suburban traffic. Remember how getting 1 mile across Chain Bridge can take you up to 40 minutes in the afternoon. There is none of that here. I can get pretty much anywhere I want, any time of day and it still only takes me a few minutes. It is glorious. (the actual Atlanta commute is much like D.C.)
2. Maybe this won't motivate you, but I sure love it, life seems just a little bit more relaxed down here. People aren't in such a huge hurry to get to whatever they think is so important. In fact, when we first moved in I bought some lawn chairs at Walmart, I was trying to finagle them into the car when this nice lady comes up to me and says, "hey, I've got a big pick up would you like me to throw those chairs in the back of my truck and follow you home?" I almost died of shock. In D.C. Someone would have given me a dirty look just for trying to put lawn furniture in my car. ('Stupid woman, doesn't she know lawn furniture won't fit into a sedan') So we did just that, she followed me home with my chairs in her truck. Talk about southern hospitality. And I find myself being nicer, why not say hi to random strangers, they say hi back. Everyone is quick to strike up a conversation in the grocery store. Its all a little shocking really, but in a good way.
3. This place is family friendly USA. Not only that, everyone here has a family. It's weird. I thought only Mormons had young families, turns out we're not the only ones. Its kind of nice.
4. The weather, I love the sunshine, and so far I've seen it everyday. It is great. It's 2 days before Halloween and it is perfect weather, you could wear shorts, you could wear pants, whatever you want to wear you could probably be comfortable in it. Lee thinks we've discovered paradise. Still curious to see how it is all year round.
So if you're considering that job relocation to Atlanta and you can live without Wegmans and Cox Farms, by all means join us! We'll find a great spot for you in the neighborhood.

3 comments:

Alisha said...

When you mentioned the chair story I immediately thought, "I would never let anyone follow me home. Then they would know where I lived!" DC does do weird things to your psyche, I'll give you that.

So tonight we went to your old place. Genevieve didn't know what to think of it. I think she was a little freaked out and kept asking where Kenzie was. Sad. Also, tonight we had some Halloween festivities and I remembered yours. They were pretty awesome. I wish I was eating guacomole and punch with you right now!

I would certainly prefer a more laid-back way of life. I am tired. All. The. Time.

Miss you.

Eliza said...

We thought of you a lot yesterday, reminiscing about Halloween parties! You sure know how to throw a good party. :)

I'm glad you're settling in but also glad you're not forgetting us in VA too quickly... :)

April said...

oh man, i agree, Cox Farms ROCKS! I totally miss it (as well as all family oriented activities, but right now, i really miss the Fall ones). LUCKILY we snuck back the U.S. with Tom 2 weeks ago and we went to Cox Farms!!! And Wegmans!!! And Target, Walmart, Michaels, and Unique!!! I was in heaven. Now I'm back to reality, buying things from amazon, but it sure was nice to get back for a minute. I should write a post about what I miss about the good ole USA!