Tuesday, March 15, 2011

My life in GA


So I feel like I have some big dark secret. Like I am not the person everyone knew 7 months ago. Living in GA has already changed me. Maybe it was all a part of the changing process. For example. I find myself wanting to say "Y'all", and even liking the sound of it. A friend of mine the other night said "it's just more efficient." I mean what do you say instead.. you guys? Is that any better? At least in the south they've picked a way to say it "Y'all." Granted I don't think I say it much, but I do like it.
Now for my other confessions. I am now semi health conscience. Not like I wasn't before but this one has been forming for a while. Even before we got here. I just realized how much junk we eat. And we still do, believe me, but I find myself feeling guilty for buying processed foods. I now grind my own organic wheat and make organic all natural wheat bread every week. And might I add it is delicious. I haven't purchased a loaf of bread since October. I have my locally grown organic fruits and vegetables brought to my house every other week. I wish I could afford to shop elusively at places like Whole Foods. You would have to be loaded to do that. I told Lee "if we were rich, I'd hire someone to teach me how to shop and prepare all natural unprocessed foods." This isn't something that changes overnight. It takes money and work to eat like this. I am not even a quarter of the way there, and until Lee is a billionaire I'll probably stay a quarter of the way there.
If I had freezer space I would order my meat in bulk from local farmers who have grass fed beef and free range chickens. That is next on my list of ways to improve my families health. Do you think I am crazy yet? Sometimes I do.
I started couponing. It's huge in the south. Its like a sport or an art form. People devote their lives to couponing and showing others how to do it. I have saved a great deal but I am still a rookie compared to most. I have to keep it realistic, I don't just run out and get something just because its free. There is order to the way I shop and the stores I shop at.
I now shop at all the local church consignment sales. It is great, I have gotten to know lots of people from different faiths and churches, and scored a lot of cheap children's clothes.
I've started reading. So much so that Lee even bought me an e-reader (Yes the same as a Kindle only not that brand). I've finished 6 very decently sized books in the last few months. It's like an escape from my mind.
For as much complaining as I've done, I do like it here. I like how slow it feels compared to D.C. I like how friendly the people are. I like that people have faith down here. Most everyone attends a church and religion is such a part of people's culture down here. I like that. I love the weather. 70's all week baby, and its been like that off and on since February. We're slowing breaking in, and I like the person I am becoming. I want to be the best me I can be, for myself and my family.

5 comments:

rachel anne said...

ASHLEYYY! I LOVE the new blog layout, the picture of your family is beautiful:) When did Austin get so big?! He looks so grown up already!! I miss you lots, but I'm so glad your settling & enjoying Georgia more, its an unique place. Ooh all natural wheat bread sound sooo delicious! I should learn how to make that..haha I love that the art of using coupons is a big thing.It's a smart thing to get savvy with. Enjoy the nice n' breezy weather & life in GA! Know how much we all love you♥

Talai said...

That is awesome Ashley. Major props for doing things that make you and your family feel better. I think about making my own bread all the time and I'm always like, don't have time, maybe next month. I think I just need to make the time to do it. But, the other thing is thee expense of buying a mixer and a grinder.

So, I'm also curious about what books you are reading!! Reading has always been such an important part of my life. Aaron makes fun of me for staying up late to read and then complaining about how tired I am, but I try and tell him that my life feels more complete and full if I have a book to read.

I'm glad Georgia is bringing such a great part of you.

Ie Li said...

I started couponing too and have been working on the health aspect of our lives for a few years now. It seems like it takes a while to make a complete transformation. I have yet to make bread on a regular basis, but that is the goal. That is awesome that you don't buy bread anymore! Thanks for posting, it's so good to "hear" your voice. :)

Critchfield fam said...

Oh yay! I'm glad you're doing so well! I miss you. Yay for being the best you you can be! You're the bomb diggidy and I know right, you have to be rollin to shop only at Whole Foods. I like to make homemade bread, but I hate that I can't cut thin slices neat enough to make sandwiches with it. Get yourself a bread maker... it makes the bread for you... and pizza dough too! Lots of stuff. Miss you!

The Powells said...

I think it's GREAT that you've started eating better - I've been on that same road for a few years and it's HARD. Every once in a while we relapse and eat junk again (mostly around the times that we move) but you can totally feel the difference! I know that Atlanta is kinda far, but we're here in Georgia too now! We're down in Columbus, at Fort Benning...in case you ever wanted to get together!