Monday, August 22, 2011

Our first real family vacation


We went on our first real family vacation last week to Miramar Beach FL. It was just us and the kids and we set off for a week at the beach. It was amazing. We had such a great time. our condo was great, right on the beach. The weather was perfect. The water was amazing. The kids slept in the same room for the first time ever and did great. Lee and I went to bed early a few nights and caught up on sleep. Our days consisted of mornings at the beach and pool. Lunch's and reading on the balcony overlooking the oceans. Afternoons sight seeing or lazing at the beach. It was awesome. We did have a few highlights. We took the kids to Gator Beach and got pretty up close and personal with some gators. We even got to pet one. Another afternoon we went to Gulf World in Panama City. It was pretty much like a miniature Sea World. But it was great because it was like Sea World minus everything we hate (lines, crowds, too big of a venue etc.) This place was pretty intimate and there was hardly anyone there. The kids thought it was awesome. Austin pet some stingrays and just went wild for the sea turtles. Kenzie loved the dolphins and birds. I have to admit I loved it all. After that we went to eat at Sharkey's open air restaurant on the beach. It was the most beautiful night. We ate right about the time the sun was going down.
We enjoyed running around on the beach and then the karaoke started. I told Lee I wanted to do it so he encouraged me. I asked Makenzie if she would want to do it with me. I expected her to be like "huh?" but as soon as I asked her if she wanted to sing with me she got so excited. She kept asking "is it our turn to sing yet?" So finally they called us up and Makenzie stole the show. It was so cute. She just belted it out, I couldn't hear myself or anything but her.
It was cute everyone stopped eating just to watch her. We had people coming around the corner from the hostess stand so they could watch this little 4 year old girl sing karaoke. It was really fun. Kind of a dream of mine, singing with my daughter. Enjoying something with her that I love so much. It was great. We spent the rest of our vacation in the sand or in the water. Makenzie is a little fish and wanted to spend every waking minute in the ocean. She is becoming quite the little swimmer. She made a lot of friends on the beach, so it was nice she had little friends to play with in the water. Austin perfected the art of throwing sand, or destroying anything that resembled a sand castle. That kid is all destruction right now. Coming home was hard, but we sure have some great memories to hold on to.

6 comments:

Larry said...

What a wonderful time you guys had! It looked like so much fun. I can't believe how big Austin looks in the pictures; he's all boy and no baby anymore! I wish I could have heard you and Makenzie sing. What fun. We thought about you whle you were gone and figured you were having a blast. Welcome back! .............Larry

Unknown said...

Makenzie blew me away!! She really has a good voice, on key and everything! I was impressed she knew the words, I think Reagan would be willing to sing but I don't know that she would have known a song well enough to belt it like Kenzie. So so darling!! She will have to do choir :)

Austin is such a handsome little boy.

I'm glad you got a real vacation. I know what you mean, so many vacations are to see family that you run out of time and money to do your own.

Oh, I miss you Ashley!!!! Hope our families can see each other some time soon. Are we going to work on that 10 year cruise, lol. We are TOTALLY down :)

Nat-a-baby said...

Way to go you Karaoke singers! Impressive... I think it's funny that the song has Makenzie saying, "It's a quarter after one, I'm a little drunk, and I need you now!" What a fun vacation! I'm glad you got to go together

Alisha said...

Awesome. Awesome. Awesome.

Wow - that water looks just like Cancun. I can't believe how big Austin is! I guess he's two by now though. Love the song. I'm so glad you had such a fun family vacation...we're still working on that. I think the first step is to not go see family for vacation....hmmm.

Call me so we can catch up.

Denisse said...

so fun!!! there's nothing like spending time as a family in such a fun place! that water looks amazing! you guys are such a cute family...loved the karaoke video! Makenzie has grown so much! miss you guys!

Janelle said...

That video was awesome! Makenzie reminded me of a young LeeAnn Rimes or something on one of those talent shows of past--she's going to be a star someday! (More than LeeAnn, I'm sure--don't worry). That trip looks amazing! I am so glad you took so many pictures and shared them with us. And I can't believe Austin is 2...he looks so big now!