Monday, December 15, 2008

My First 911 Call

I should have known today was going to be crazy when Kenzie slept in until 9. We started our day a little later than normal. Well every Monday, Wednesday, Friday I put Kenzie in her highchair with some breakfast and I run down stairs and put the trash on the curb. Well today when I came back from taking out the trash, I was locked out. We usually never lock our actual knob, only the bolt, so I had no idea the door was locked. I had no keys, no phone, so I started knocking my neighbors doors. I had to run all the way to the other side of my building before our nice neighbor Gretchen let me in (seeing the panic in my eyes I am sure). She let me use her phone and gave me some water, and even gave me a coat to wear while I waited for the firemen to show up. So I called 911 told them my toddler was locked in the house in her highchair. About 10 minutes later the Fire Truck pulls up. They worked relentlessly for about 10 more minutes, trying to pop open our window or our door. Finally our door popped open (WHAT A RELIEF) and I ran upstairs to save Makenzie who was sitting in her highchair and had eaten all her breakfast, happy as a clam. While I was locked out I prayed that Angels would watch over her since I couldn't be there, I think they were there because she usually screams if she is in her highchair for more than 10 minutes. This time she didn't seem to notice that I wasn't there for about 30 minutes, maybe her future brothers and sister were their keeping her company. A special thanks to the Firemen who came to our rescue. I will now be extra cautious taking my trash out.

10 comments:

Sarah Roberts said...

that is so scary

B. Surfer said...

Wow... thank goodness the firemen were able to get there so fast!

Lindsey said...

WOAH!!! Thank goodness for those hot firemen huh?? I bet Kenz was TOTALLY being watched over!! Scary stuff though!!! Glad everythings ok!

Eliza said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear this! I will try to be more careful when I take the trash out too. What a relief that she was safe and not afraid.

Janelle said...

Ashley, that must have been so scary! You handled it so well and it's a relief to know everything turned out okay. See you soon!

Will said...

wow that is crazy. I am glad that everything is ok. So if you guys have more children, does that mean your blog's name will change too?

Tara Lynn said...

Wow, I probably would have peed my pants from being hysterical and might not have thought to call 911 due to my stress (which would have prevented me from thinking straight)! I'm so glad everything was okay. :)

Sabs said...

oh my! I just got all choked up. glad everything was alright! You brave momma!!!

The Young Family Inc. said...

Christmas miracle, a little early.

Critchfield fam said...

That's hilarious... so scary though. I can't believe Kenzie was still happy. Sounds like Kailee. Food will keep her busy for forever. I miss you guys!!