Tuesday, November 25, 2008

A Gentle Reminder I'm not 17


So tonight I had one of those moments that throws you back into the past really fast (makes you feel younger and more reckless then you are) and then yanks you back out pretty hard, only to find you really are about a decade older than you think you are. Here is the story.

At church I work with the 16-18 year old girls and I couldn't ask for a better calling. I love the girls, I love working with them, being with them, everything about them. When I get with them I am magically transformed back into my 17 year old self. (Or so I feel.) Tonight we had an activity and I am telling them how badly I want to see Twilight (yes I am 14) but with a baby and 3 schedules to work around I have no time.. etc. So they tell me.. "We'll just go tonight all of us."(At this point they are now totally excited, and I am pretty stoked as well) I tell them I will probably have to wait and go with Lee, but they continue to beg me to go tonight. So I call Lee and say "would you be heart broken if I went to Twilight with the girls instead of you?" He tells me "Go for it." So I'm like "Ok lets do it."

They then proceed to remind me that they have to call their parents. WHAT?!! Parents, who calls their parents? Oh wait I am in my late 20's, my friends here are 17. There is almost a decades worth of difference here. (I haven't called my parents to ask permission for almost 10 years). That was when I received the whiplash back into reality.

So funny, story ends with all of their parents telling them no, "its a school night." I must have suppressed that line from my mind, because when you're parents say that to you when your 17 don't you just want to spit nails at them. Because lets face it, whatever you want to do is way more important then the school you have the next day. And now here I sit, alone, blogging, Twilightless,left high and dry.

Other side note: So as soon as the girls told me they couldn't go I tried to think of friends that could come with me, then I remembered, all my friends are married, and most of them have kids and its 9pm, no one would just jump into my car in 5 minutes to go see twilight. That is when I missed being 17. Why can't we all be just a little more reckless and crazy? Next time one of you gets a whim to do something, call me and I hope I can be as reckless for you as I wanted someone to be for me tonight.

11 comments:

Talai said...

Okay, I really miss those days too. I think back fondly upon times when my friends would sit around and go bungie jumping on a whim or go jump into a cold lake in the middle of the night. So, next time you want to go out at 9pm and party(I mean Owen will be asleep) I am totally in. And I wont even have to ask my parents.

The Young Family Inc. said...

And at 17, my boobs weren't down to my belly button. Boo.

Eliza said...

Give me a few months and I will totally do whatever. These days I am constantly tired. Although many nights I don't end up going to bed until midnight anyway.

But really, I'm looking forward to having enough sleep at night that I can just toss a bottle at Matt, say, "see ya!" and not hate myself in the morning. 2009, I will be a party ANIMAL.

Eliza said...

P.S., I told Matt this story and he said last night at Mutual a group of YW and leaders walked by him. He saw one YW and thought, "She must be a new YW" and then realized it was you. Funny!

When I worked in YW in my old ward in SLC, people thought I was a Laurel all the time. Somehow I don't think that would happen anymore...between my mom hairdo, dark circles under my eyes and completely non-trendy clothing. How sad, I think 25 is a little too young to be resigning myself to old-ladyhood. Or is it?? I don't know!

Ie Li said...

You can call me the next time you want to be reckless!

Jones Family said...

I finally discovered your blog! Took me long enough! Funny how a 9:00 movie is so recklass. A bunch of old married women.

B. Surfer said...

If you lived next to me, i'm always up for recklessness. No matter what time of day. Seriously. I'm in complete denial of my age; my kids are just an accessory that have to come along. hahahah ( except at night. they go to be Early. )

Will said...

Too bad Tammy wasn't there. She would have gone last minute for sure.

Janelle said...

"...then I remembered, all my friends are married, and most of them have kids and its 9pm, no one would just jump into my car in 5 minutes to go see twilight."

Uh, I'd be there with you in a heartbeat! (And I'm even apathetic towards Twilight). My night owl self is always up for a spontaneous Girls' Night Out and luckily I have some friends here who are as well. Too bad we don't live in the same place or you bet I'd be there to pull you away for a night while the boys babysat. Maybe someday!

Sabs said...

love your fall craft!!!! love your hair!!!!! i would totally go see Twilight again with you! wait....if you're not 17 then how old am i?

Merianne said...

Umm, I'm childless and would loved to have seen the movie with you. Next time you have a hankering to be spontaneous, give me ring!