Monday, November 3, 2008

Speaking of Lollipops


So I consider myself a pretty laid back parent. I think it is just in my nature to be laid back. But I am paranoid and scared to death of kids and lollipops. Am I alone in this one. One of the worst combos I can think of is a little kid and a round piece of candy on a stick. I just picture Makenzie, lollipop in hand, running away from me, boom smacks face on ground, lollipop down throat. Graffic enough for you. Gross and so horrible. And everytime we go to the bank at the drive through they offer me a lollipop for her (very nice gesture I will not deny) but are you kidding me. Watch we'll go over some bump, blam sucker down the throat again. It just scares me and I don't know where this all stems from. The only thing I can think of. Once upon a time, back when I was about 10 I was riding back from McDonalds with my sister and her boyfriend. I was casually resting my straw on the upper inner portion of my lip when all of a sudden out of nowhere we go over a bump. Well the straw then jumped up my nose with enough force to make it start bleeding all over the place. So we had to pull over the car, fix my nose, and my sisters BF asks "what did you do, stick the straw up your nose?" My response "NOOOO!" Not technically at least. Do those two things have any correlation. Could my fear of lollipops stem from my unfortunate straw incident of 1992? Also, does anyone remember Caramel Apple pops?

Dang those things were good. Can you still buy those without having to special order them on Amazon?

7 comments:

Talai said...

Those carmel suckers were awesome! I haven't seen them around forever! And, I wasn't really scared of suckers and kids until NOW! Thanks...

Sarah Roberts said...

i have no idea on the caramel sucker thing- i do remember those- one of the few delicious suckers. I actually am not a big fan of suckers- although I hear ya- I personally do not want to feed my kids sugar on a regular basis for fear they might turn into addicts like me:) and it is not fun. I can't even keep sweets in the house because I am so addicted. I have not had the fear of then dying from eating one though- maybe i should- my sister did the same thing you did- with the straw and a recorder ( musical instrument like a flute) only it cut the roof of her mouth. On the other hand- my friend had the exact thing you fear about suckers happen to her when she was a child- she said it was not fun and she cried- so yes- verdict...it is ok for you to fear suckers:)

Adri said...

Kenzie looks so cute in her costume! Love all that curly hair. And I think you can get caramel apple pops at Costco still - can't you? Seems like I have in the last year or so. You make a hot 80's chick. :)

B. Surfer said...

Kids and suckers are a death wish in my book too. And i don't have a creepy straw story to back me up. I think you're completely normal.

Will said...

You are not alone!!! I always envision the little kid tripping with the stick hitting the ground. Scares me to death!!!

Critchfield fam said...

You're not alone. Bad things can happen. I've let Kailee sit in her high chair with a lollipop once and we shared a dumb dumb once (Mommy lick, Kailee lick, etc, etc) until I said enough sugar and threw it away, lol. That was the day after halloween!

Critchfield fam said...

I do miss those suckers; I forgot about them. You can't get them at the store anymore??