Friday, January 29, 2010

I chose wrong


I could have kicked myself in the head like 10 times last night. So here was our situation.Lee's mom was going to be staying at our house last night because she needed to be at the temple early in the morning. So Lee thought this could be a great opportunity for us to be rebellious and go see a movie. He has been dying to see Avatar in 3D, I know because he's been leaving me subtle (or not so subtle hints) everytime I go to use my computer there is something Avatar on there: Downloaded HD trailers, movie show times, general Google Avatar searches etc. So since Lee's mom wouldn't be arriving until about 10pm, we were limited to the 10:40 showing almost 25 minutes away. The movie itself is 2 hours an 30 minutes soo that would put us home around 2am. My logical side said to me, "How old do you think you are, 18?" I also remembered that I have 2 kids who demand ALL of my attention all day, and the thought of running on 4 hours of interrupted sleep while trying to attend to their every need was a bad idea. So I told Lee, "I would honestly love to see it with you, but I must decline, due to the circumstances." So a disappointed husband hung his head in defeat, and a responsible wife held her head high, and both got ready for bed.

Little did I know that Kenzie had an agenda of her own last night. My daughter who has slept consistently through the night since she was 11 months decided that last night she was going to break the mold. At 11pm she woke up screaming her head off, normally I would ignore it and let her go back to sleep but this particular time she screamed for quite a while, I figured something must be wrong so I went in to see what was going on. BIG MISTAKE. From 11pm-2:30am she screamed, and boy did she scream, she used every line, every trick in the book to try and get us to take sympathy on her and go get her. I used Tylenol, I gave her a drink, a snack, and finally I lost my mind. Lee ushered me back to bed and said, its no good, just let her scream. So at 2am I gave up and tried to sleep to the sound of blood curdling shreaks. Frustrated, tired and on the edge, Lee leans over and says "I find it ironic that it is 2am and we would have just been getting home from the movie." This time I hung my whole body in defeat and realized I should have gone to the movie. I wouldn't have gotten any sleep (which I didn't anyway) but at least I would have been enjoying myself, the movie, and some much needed time with Lee. Instead I had gotten in and out of bed for 3 hours listening to an insane 2 year old go crazy.

Lesson: Life is to short to pass up the spontaneity, sure, under normal circumstance I would have been a little tired, and Friday could have been a little difficult, but guess what, it was anyway, and I passed up the fun part. So next time something spontaneous and crazy comes my way, count me in!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Ashley, I totally feel you. I need that advice too!!!!!

And I can relate to the insane 2 year old, because for the past 2 weeks Reagan has been waking up in the middle of the night, and not just being up but screaming and banging herself against her door to get out! I don't know what the deal is!!! And I find it ironic that it started just as Lincoln started sleeping through the night, I guess I'm destined to not get a good nights rest for the rest of my life!!!!

B. Surfer said...

I'm the same way as you - responsibly declining "fun" so as to get more sleep. Remember when we use to be spontaneous? I need a vacation.

Anonymous said...

Bummer!! Of course something like that would happen! :( Well I saw it for you today - does that make you feel better? Probably not. Thanks for the reminder - I need to be better at taking advantage of opportunities like that. I always thought I'd still be "cool" when I was older but it's sad how easy it is to be boring. haha.

Critchfield fam said...

That is hilarious... not really. I'm so sorry. I would've done the same thing though, I NEED my sleep. Looks like someone was trying to teach you a lesson, lol. I'm glad you shared. If I'm in that situation, I'll go to the movie!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.