Saturday, December 11, 2010
Are Lee and I really married? According the the state of GA, NO!
Lee said it best today when he said "Don't you have to come to the DMV like 3 times before you can actually get what you want?" So true. In order to avoid having to go to the DMV three times I am a diligent researcher. I look on line beforehand to make sure I have every document necessary. So today when we went to go get our licenses switched over we had all the proper paper work. Well when I presented my marriage license they wouldn't honor it. Apparently they don't think my ORIGINAL marriage license is real. They asked me if I had a certified copy, I said I've got even better, you are holding the original. After arguing with the woman for a few minutes about whether or not we were married and whether or not we had a "real" marriage license, I finally lost the battle. This has never been a problem in any other state I have been to but GA has some snooty marriage license requirements or something. So now 5 and half years later, I have to get in touch with the state of UT and ask them, do you have something GA will honor, because apparently your marriage licenses aren't good enough for them? What a pain. I hate the DMV. As if to make me feel better the woman then turns to Lee and says "well he can get his license." Oh great, that makes me feel better, maybe I can just drag my two kids back here and do this again another time because that is fun for me. Right! So GA doesn't honor my marriage, does that mean Lee and I have been fornicating for 5 years, or are we just fornicating in GA? HA!!! I smell another wedding coming on. Lee said if we can't get this all straightened out we might just have to get remarried. I actually smiled, thought that could be fun. Shot gun wedding in the court house, maybe our kids could be the witnesses. HA! This might sound terrible but if I were to do it all over again, I wouldn't change my name. Not because I wouldn't want Lee's last name or because I am some feminist or something but because I can't tell you how much of a pain it has been legally, in every state I have had to go through something regarding my name change. I could still be Mrs.(so and so) for social purposes, it just wouldn't be on all my legal documents. So my advice to newly weds, think twice before you change your name, because if you move around a lot like our family has, it will only come back to haunt you. So until then here's the questions of the day, are Lee and I really married? What a sketchy life we are leading. Muahahhaah!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
heh heh (Ralph Wiggum laugh) (if you are a Simpsons fan... I hope so) Anyway, good luck with that!!
My passport still has my maiden name on it and I have used it twice without issues. (just booked my tickets under my maiden name.) Actually it took me 3 years of marriage before I changed it on my license. I went through lots of airports and hardly anyone ever asked me why the name on my license was different from the name on the ticket. Might be different now.
Hooray!! Another wedding!! You are living every girls dream. We all want to play princess again! :) And just think of the gifts. You are totally doing this right. Good luck and hope I get an invite:) hehehehehe.
You are so funny, Ashley!
Just a little fyi! In the south, bring them a little tobacco plant and they'll let you do or get away with anything. That might be easier then getting a certified license. Also, sweet scooter Lee.
-Brad
Post a Comment