Tuesday, September 9, 2008
Are people still courteous?
So I feel like I am usually trying to look for ways to express common courtesy. Opening doors for people, letting people in on the road etc. I feel like if we could all just do a nice deed for the day the world would be a better place. Yet I feel like very little people have any courtesy anymore. Today I almost went insane. Makenzie has been driving me totally nuts. The constant whining, the clinging the disobedience etc. Today we went to Walmart (my first mistake). She started screaming and crying, getting in and out of the cart, trying to push the cart, running away from the cart. (By this time I'm on edge, about to leave her standing in the middle of an aisle and walk out). So we finally get to the check out line, at this point I have belted her into the cart, she is screaming bloody murder, tears the whole nine yards. There were 2 other people in front of us, one of whom had quite a bit of stuff. In my head I was thinking, 'Huh, it would sure be nice if this lady in front of me would let me and my screaming baby go ahead of her considering we only have a hand full of items.' I almost said this very thing to her when she looked at me with the look like "can't you control your crying child." Oh the anger brewing inside!!! Any way maybe I am being bitter, but I feel like everyone always tells me these stories where someone is really courteous and kind to them in their time of need, that never happens to me. Just wondering if anyone else feels like the world is lacking in common courtesy and decency.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Oh Ashley, I totally agree. I think that it is common decency to let someone go ahead of you if you have a bunch of stuff and they only have a few items. Add to that a crying baby and it is categorically rude to not let you go ahead.
I once had a man actually cut in front of me in line when I had crying Andrew and was hugely pregnant and had about 3 things to buy. I was furious. But passive aggressive.
Smash - don't move to Philly! I hear you girl. It's not that hard to be courteous - it's just not taught anymore, I swear. The other day at the library I heard two boys no more than 10 years old cussing out the librarian for letting an old man onto "their" computer. Telling her to shut up and screaming the F word at her. What??? Are you kidding me kids talk to adults like this?!
Also, this stage will pass with Kenz. It's such a tough age. At least for me with Carson. Once he started talking and understanding better, life was so much better. He understands consequences, etc. HANG IN THERE and stay out of Walmart. :)
I agree, I have been very disappointed. I think more and more most of us go out with the mentality that you have to look our for #1 or no one will. I still try, but have been guilty of being the rude one at times. But, I have found that when someone is really kind to me it inspires me to try and do they same. So, who knows, you might inspire people each day and you don't know it. Keep on keepin' on.
Ash - you left common courtesy behind when you moved east. I am not sure where it starts to fall apart, maybe somewhere in the middle of Iowa, but by the time you get to DC is is virtually non-existant!
I'm a bit delayed with my response but you have got to be kidding me! Either the woman in front of you is never around children or she is "OLD" in the sense of being weird. Some people hit an age, (varies on the people) but they say things or do things that only old people who have been out of it awhile would do. I am so sorry. Next time call me and we'll eat chocolate together.
I agree, people aren't so courteous these days. I only hope that if I were in that lady's situation I'd let someone with crying kids go before me. Sometimes I just space everyone else out. Guess I need to work on that. I really didn't like being in Arizona over the summer, but one thing I have to say is that it had the nicest people of any place I've ever been.
Also, I'm sad I didn't get to see you when you were here! I'm not sure I was even back yet, but either way. Sad. Glad you had fun though.
people are so rude. I want to slap that lady for you:) mothers of young'ns are on the edge as it is...don't mess with us!
Not only do you leave courtesy behind when you come east, you definitely leave it behind in Wal-Mart! Well, not that everyone in Wal-Mart is self-absorbed and rude, because that can't be true (let's hope) but I think the chances are much higher of running into someone who won't stop to think, "Hmm, maybe this baby's screaming is actually bugging her mom more than it's bugging me. How can I help?"
Post a Comment