Tuesday, September 30, 2008

I'm amazed at what the human body is capable of!


So its over. I trained all summer and now it is done. 12 of us participated in the WA DC Ragnar Relay from MD to DC this last weekend. 183 miles of trails, rain, no sleep, and some good times. I had a blast. I can't even begin to say how wonderful it was. Our van left Thursday night at around 8:30 arrived in MD at about 11:30 and tried to be in bed by about 12 or 12:30. I for one did not sleep, not because of jitters, but because I was in a strange bed with a freaking train going by ALL NIGHT literally right outside the window. So after my 2 hours of sleep that night we started the race. There were 12 runners and we each ran 3 different legs. My first leg was at about 11 am on Friday morning on the C&O trail and it was so beautiful. Here I was on this trail on one side of me was the canal, on the other side of the canal was a bunch of corn fields, on the other side of me were rock walls and trees. The trees were just starting to change colors. The weather was perfect, overcast, warm. The whole time I was running I couldn't help but marvel at the beauty, and I thought what a way to ring in fall. I love the Fall. After 4.4 miles of running I then handed the slap bracelet baton off to Amy. We continued to do this for 32 hours 34 minutes and 9 seconds. My second leg was at 11:30pm, and my last leg was at 9:30 am. In the space of about 48 hours I slept about 4 hours and ran about 13 miles and yet it was one of the best experiences I have ever had. I had a great time with the people in my van, it was great spending time with other people and forget for a moment that I am a mom. I was reminded that there are still places on the East Coast that are beautiful and not over run by too many people. I would do this race again in a heart beat, part of me is even wishing it was this weekend so I could do it again. A special thanks to my running partner Makenzie for letting me pack her up in the stroller so we could go train every other day. Thanks to Lee for being so supportive and buying me running shoes so I could be a hard core runner. Thanks to all my friends and van mates for making it such a memorable experience. GO A-TEAM!!!

11 comments:

Staci said...

hey thats awesome. Wow what a cool experience to have!

Danica said...

Go Smash! You're awesome. Glad you had a great experience.

Anonymous said...

I'm blog stalking you!
I agree with everything you said- it was such a great experience that I don't even know where to begin to describe it. Thanks for being on the team- and in our awesome Van 1- it was so much fun to hang out and kill ourselves together!!

Adri said...

YAY!! You did it! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

I need to get running again! That sounds like so much fun! Angie

Sabs said...

you are so amazing!!!! i love it!

Alisha said...

Ash - I totally wish I could run this again in about 3 months. I don't want to wait 12 more months. Oh well.

Janelle said...

Ashley, you are just amazing that you did this! Great job. I'm so glad you had such a great experience with it all. Congrats on finishing such a high goal!

Tara Lynn said...

What an accomplishment! You must be so proud of yourself and I imagine Lee is as well. Way to go. ;)

The Ballard Family said...

Shawn and I did the Ragnar from Logan to Park City this summer. Amazing!!! Very crazy too!!!

B. Surfer said...

It's Meesa - Nice to hear from you.. and to come across your blog with such a great entry! WOW! Very ambitious.. good work.