Thursday, May 7, 2009
A Pleasant Surprise
I know I am about a week late on this post but I couldn't let it pass me by. Sunday in church Lee and I walk in (juggling Makenzie) after the opening prayer, find a seat and Lee leans over and says..."why is President Uchtdorf on the stand?" I was like "what!!" Sure enough there he was sitting on the stand. It was pretty cool having a Prophet, Seer, and Revalator right in front of me. It was neat to hear his words and his testimony. I could really feel his authority as he spoke of how he knew Christ's church had been restored and as he testified of a loving Savior. Not that he said anything I haven't heard before, but it was nice to hear him bare a simple testimony that wasn't accompanied by a conference address. One of the biggest treats was being with him and his wife in Young Men/Young Womens. They came in to address the youth the third hour (how lucky I am to be serving in the YW). Sister Uchtdorf's message basically said, listen to your elders, they have some experience on you. Then President Uchtdorf opened the floor for questions. He was asked "what is your favorite part about being in the 1st Presidency?" He said he loved working so closely with President Monson and what a great man he was. Then he was asked his favorite scripture. He named a few but talked mostly about how he loves to read the Joseph Smith story. He mentioned the part where it says "I knew that I had seen a vision and I knew that God knew it and I could not deny it." That is also my favorite part. His closing remarks were very powerful. He talked about how the youth are the future of the church and how they didn't need some huge manifestation or sign to know that they know the truth. He just kept saying "You know it" over and over. I think that is a pretty simple and powerful message to the youth. "You know it." I know I did at that age, but to hear a Prophet of God come into my meeting and tell me that, well there is no denying. I feel truly blessed to have had such a rare experience (well living outside of UT I guess) to have one of the 1st Presidency come and speak to my congregation.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
that is so cool!
Wow that is so awesome Im sure the youth will remember that one forever!
Wow, how neat he attended your ward!!!
This was neat for me to read because I actually know one of the reasons he was in your neck of the woods this past weekend. President Uchtdorf met with all the LDS members of Congress on Monday. My dad said it was such an incredible experience. It's interesting that you said he opened up the majority of the time to questions because that's exactly what my dad said he did with them.
What an incredible experience!!!!
Post a Comment